Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights

3 posters

Go down

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights Empty Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Some of the idea that are in separate threads are included in this article that has a number of ideas to make your own quick lights or candles, but it's got great photos for them!

Power’s Out and in a Pinch? How to Create 5 Makeshift Urban Survival Lights
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/powers-out-and-in-a-pinch-how-to-create-5-makeshift-urban-survival-lights/

It’s impossible to be perfectly prepared for an imperfect world. Sometimes you just have to go MacGyver and solve common problems by using the resources you have on hand and a little ingenuity. I’ve always said that the ability to improvise is one of the most important survival skills.

This article is a collection (not all my own I’ll admit) of a few creative, makeshift lighting solutions you may have to deploy as a last resort if the grid goes down. You just never know when one of these innovative ideas might shed some light into your darkness.   ---CONTINUED---

Last edited by ReadyMom on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights Empty Re: Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I always keep the 'ends' of candles or what's left in a jar candle. I scoop out the leftover wax from the jar candles and keep it all in a zip-bag w/ the candle ends. I sort by color, to make it easier later.

I buy the wicks at the craft store to keep on hand.

Now, I can melt the wax and make my own candles. Or you can use the melted wax for firestarters. But, my goal is to use for candles.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights Empty Re: Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights

Post by Cinnamon Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:04 pm

I do the same thing and I buy candles at yard sales for pennies on the dollar. Then I make them in mason jars, and put a book of matches inside on top of the candle, so you always have a light, too.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:27 am

How To Make 30 Hours Survival Candles with Soy Wax
http://www.askaprepper.com/make-cheap-30-hours-survival-candles-soy-wax/

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights Soy-candles-finished   Soy wax burns cleaner and a lot longer than most paraffin waxes. This is what makes it the best option for survival candles.

But an emergency soy wax candle can cost up to $20.

I made mine’s with only $1.67 / candle:  ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:37 am

Make your own lantern with a soda can and a candle, can also be used as a heater too. There are other options on making them in this link. Depending on the size of the can and the size of the candle results in more or less light/heat.

I've made one out of a 1 gallon paint can, which you can use a larger candle and get more light/heat. Here's a youtube video:

https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=homemade+lantern+with+candle+and+aluminum+can&v=zfyi4F1Aihs

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am

rick1 wrote:Make your own lantern with a soda can and a candle
I think this is the first time I've seen this one! Good idea! I'm putting this link over on my EHP storage site, too!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:01 am

Here's another:

Hunter's Candle Lantern

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Make an Ambient Lamp Out of a Milk Jug
http://slcfoothillnet.blogspot.com/2012/09/milk-jug-emergency-light.html

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights Milk+jug+light This portable lamp is just a gallon milk jug filled with water, with a headlamp pointing into it. It's a clever repurposing trick that creates a great soft light perfect for reading, writing or illuminating indoors or out. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:14 pm

Make a Lantern Out of Your Flashlight and a Milk Jug
https://www.instructables.com/Make-a-Lantern-out-of-your-flashlight-and-a-milk-j/

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights F3P57X6HUU1AZ42 My son and I were going to tent camp in the backyard this weekend. My other battery powered lanterns used D and C cell batteries and the batteries were dead. I didn't feel like going out and spending money on new batteries. But, I had this bright LED flashlight, and a under sink cabinet full of empty milk jugs, so... ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:52 am

How To Make A Candle That Lasts 100 Hours
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/how-to-make-candle-100-hours/

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights How-to-make-a-candle-that-lasts-100-hours-pin-2 (SNIP) ... In this video, UK Here We Grow explains how to quickly make a candle that will last over 100 hours. Here’s what you need:

A typical tall white candle like one of these.
A glass jar that’s about an inch taller than the candle (so about 7.5″ in this case).
The glass jar’s screw-on lid (so you can cover the candle when not using it).
Some kind of vegetable fat (not lard).

Now here’s how to make it: ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:25 am

How to Make Emergency Candles for Heat and Light
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/make-emergency-candles-heat-light/

Candles-Home Made 'Candles' & Lights Ngcb11 (SNIP) ... If you want a bright candle that can also keep you warm and even cook food, it’s better to just make your own. It just takes a few ingredients, some time, and a bit of experimentation. Plus, you can customize them for producing either high heat, high light, or both! ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down