2019- JUNE Prepping Updates

5 posters

Go down

2019- JUNE Prepping Updates Empty 2019- JUNE Prepping Updates

Post by Cinnamon Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Started the new month's thread.

We went to the orchard to get some strawberries and while there discovered a garage sale nearby. Husband got two pairs of military long john pants, and a camp pot set that included a stock pot, smaller pot, water pot, skillet, 4 plates, and 4 cups. It all packs together in the biggest pot. We'll use it for camping.

I made the fruit into 12 pints of strawberry freezer jam.

We got a load of gravel today and as soon as I'm done posting, I have to go help Husband spread it in our carport. This is the first load, we will be putting down gravel in several places, mostly our driveway (it needs new gravel every few years) and under the back deck.

I started a new batch of sourdough to make artisan loaves, pizza and sourdough muffins. We had the last of last week's batch for lunch, a good sized pizza that was pretty darned tasty!

OK, off to spread gravel. Smile
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

2019- JUNE Prepping Updates Empty Re: 2019- JUNE Prepping Updates

Post by Dave58 Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:10 pm

I am planting the last of my garden today (sugar snap peas) I went thru and replanted some of the bush beans that the rabbits could not resist and more carrots. We are supposed to get a lot of rain this week so I hope everything stay were I put it..

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:29 am

My broccoli is ready to harvest, just haven't had a chance to get to it.

Husband and I made a trip to the hardware store and picked up some waterproof laminate flooring to re-do our laundry room floor. We originally covered it in white tiles, but when the tile is wet, I've lost my balance and fallen a couple times. It's our "mud-room" so wet shoes and wet dog come in that way. I have a large rug in there, but it's still slippery. We decided to put down a free-floating flooring to alleviate the issue.

Water seal for decks was on sale, too, so we bought 2 large cans to do the decks this year.

We also found tyvek one piece suits, those will go into emergency first aid supplies for bio-hazard preps.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am

Received my order of sauces and flavorings, hooray! Am now waiting on a case of refried beans (#10 cans) and some pouches of alfredo pasta that were on deep discount earlier in the week. Probably need to get another couple of the good can openers so I don't have to rely on my backup/barter P38 openers if I wear out the good ones.
And I had my last dental appointment to deal with some old fillings that were starting to break. Will be nice to not have to worry about my teeth for a while again.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Husband and I updated all of our dentals last month. The price was staggering and the savings took a hit as we both needed crowns. Both were old repairs which had deteriorated and needed more work.

Grocery store and yard sales today.

Restocked what we used.

Building a bio-hazard/pandemic kit:
Box of 40 large black garbage bags
Box of 100 nitrile gloves
Roll of duck tape
Bag of rubber bands
2 Tyvek full body suits (bought yesterday at Lowe's)

I will be adding more to this kit.

Happened to pass by the thrift shop and they had cases of apples for free. Got a case for the parents, and a case for us. The apples are not the freshest, so Husband is making apple schnapps and I will use the rest for homemade applesauce/apple jelly.

Yard sales:

1 camp cot and mattress - $2
Assorted 3T and 4T clothes for the grand niece - $3.50
Toy grocery cart - 25 cents
4 flannel receiving blankets - $1
Stanley thermos - 50 cents

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 am

Weeded the garden, even had to water it considering how much rain we've been having. Laid down a little lime before I turned on the sprinklers. Have to mow the grass every 5 days, wish the garden grew that fast. The corn is about 9 inches high now, doing good.

Went to the grandsons game last night, both granddaughters have games today. I just love watching those little 8/9 yo's trying to learn how to play ball.

I've been rotating 10 to 15 gallons of gas every week, gas is .40 cents cheaper 30 miles away and that's on my way to camp, so why not.

Picked up two 15 inch steel rims, so I can make one of those outdoor cookers ReadyMom showed on one of the threads.

Got my silver order Thursday, since I've been ordering silver the last month, it has jumped .75 cents an ounce, closed at $15.03 spot price, I bought this last batch at 14.39/ounce (spot price).

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:56 am

Husband and I got the gravel spread by the carport and the ramp.

Husband made the apple schnapps with half a box of the apples.

I made 29 pints of applesauce and 46 pints of apple jelly with the other 1 1/2 boxes. The neighbor gave me the rest of her box of apples, so I will be making more applesauce in the next day or so.

A couple years ago, Husband built some shelves in the laundry room and because of time constraints with visiting family, we never got around to painting them. He is now in the process of painting them. We're waiting for paint to dry before continuing.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Restocked the laundry room shelves - was that a chore! While it is the food stock, it is also our dumping ground for canning equipment, pet supplies, small kitchen appliances that get used rarely, and so on. I reorganized some areas to be more accessible.

Then, I had to clean the laundry room, including moving the washer and dryer so we can put the new flooring in tomorrow.

The Spring/Summer work has finally started - the rains delayed our schedule, so we're trying to cram as much in as possible before the family gets here in 2 weeks! Yikes!
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:30 am

Wife and I attended my 50 year class reunion last evening, had a blast, wish I was back in H.S..

Rotated 10 gallon of gas, hoed/weeded the garden. Tomatoes aren't doing as well as I'd like, but it is what it is.

Me and a couple of grandkids dug up about 3 pound of chickorie, have it drying in the garage, once dry, I'll grind it up.

Having a little get together this evening with some of the kids and grandkids, I have a pork butt in the smoker and the wife is making all the fixin's that go along with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by keebler Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:18 am

Finally finished Building my (Harbor Freight) 10' x12' 15.5' tall greenhouse kit ,Yep im a old guy But i did it (alone) nice level spot . Not the best kit made But it will work for me.
keebler.

keebler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Rick1 - I am interested in the chicory grinding - tell me what to do, please? It grows wild here, I'd love to use it in some way.

Keebler - I want that greenhouse, too, but have to wait for a bit as we have other priorities. Smile

I canned a bunch more applesauce with the neighbor's apples. She only wants about 4 pints. I get to keep the rest for the family reunion.

Husband and I laid the new flooring in the laundry room. It was very easy to snap together and to cut. It's Smartcore Ultra Vinyl flooring from Lowe's.

Today Husband sealed the back deck with Thompson's Water Seal. We've not done it for about 3 years, it's time. Deck is now drying.

2 days ago, we lost our last dog, a Golden Lab. We're heartbroken because we knew he was winding down, but didn't expect him to go so soon. I washed all his belongings and will put them away for our next dogs. Husband and I will wait a bit to get more dogs, we want to travel for a while. We would like to get two, as they seem happier when they have a canine companion.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by keebler Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 pm

So sorry about the family member.pets are family too, I have no family & when my beloved Cat had to be put down- it has been very tough being alone, i have moved full time to Richmond (medical reasons) still go to Bug out every couple weeks and relax.
as for the Green house. look on craigs list or so sort web site someone might be wanting to get rid of theirs. the spring clips are available on the Net I'm beefing mine up with 100 more clips. wish you all the best, sheltered pets might bring you one to your family.
keebler.

keebler

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 am

[quote="Cinnamon"]Rick1 - I am interested in the chicory grinding - tell me what to do, please? It grows wild here, I'd love to use it in some way.

Well Cin, I dig out the roots, clean them to get the dirt off, I then chop them up like you would celery or onions. I then put them on a screen and cover them with another screen to keep the bugs off. I normally lay the in the sun to completely dry, but with all the rain we've been having, I put them in the garage and run the dehumidifier.

Once they are completely dry, I'll grind them up in my grain mill and put them in a ziplock bag.

I only add 1/2 scoop of chicory to 1 and 1/2 scoops of coffee. I've tried straight chicory for coffee, but it was too strong for me. Here's a link on different ways to make chicory for coffee:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chicory-Coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 am

Well the Japanese Beetles are back .. Any good ways to get rid of them ??

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 am

Dave58 wrote:Well the Japanese Beetles are back .. Any good ways to get rid of them ??

Haven't had to deal with them in a long time, but there used to be traps you could hang on a hook a bit away from the plants you want to protect. Basically they were bags with hormone lures that would suck the beetles in and they couldn't get out. Hope this points you in the right direction.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks DM I will see if I can find some traps

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by keebler Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Beadle traps sold hardware .& w/ mart

keebler

Back to top Go down