Guns (To Each Their Own)

4 posters

Go down

Guns (To Each Their Own) Empty Guns (To Each Their Own)

Post by rick1 Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Everybody has their own preference on what type of guns to have for home security. Even security experts say you should have at least 3 guns, pistol, rifle and a shotgun. I live on a farm in a rural area and everybody, including the females, have guns. I have 2 gun safes with all the popular calibers from .22 caliber to 30-06 (rifles), from .22 caliber to .45 caliber (pistols) and 20 gauge to 12 gauge (shotguns).

I have thousands and thousands of rounds for every weapon I own, plus reloading equipment.

If I could only have 1 of each, pistol, rifle, shotgun, they would be:

10/22 ruger .22 caliber rifle
.45 caliber semi auto pistol
12 gauge shotgun with extra barrel (slug)

To each their own.
rick1
rick1

Back to top Go down

Guns (To Each Their Own) Empty Re: Guns (To Each Their Own)

Post by rick1 Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 pm

I saw today the the governor on the left coast (California), signed a bill into law that nobody can purchase any type of gun until they are 21 YO.

If I was a young man, I wouldn't (by law) register for the draft, which a male (not a female) must register upon their 18th birthday.

I guess we'll give 18 year old service members stones instead of guns when they're in the military.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-california-governor-gun-bills-20180928-story.html

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 am

A city (Republic, Washington) has voted to become a 2nd ammendment sanctuary city, good for them:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/15/republic-wa-considers-becoming-a-sanctuary-city-to/

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:03 pm

I have 2 - 10/22 takedowns but nothing like this. Guess I'll have to order one for fathers day. The one shown here looks just what everyone needs, including me.

What do you think?

https://www.offgridweb.com/preparation/video-1022-takedown-backpacker-build/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm

rick1 wrote:I have 2 - 10/22 takedowns but nothing like this. ...
It's your money, but I recall a few years ago, someone did an article comparing a Ruger 10/22 takedown and another, specialized, takedown rifle. Personally I think if you need another rifle, fine, but if not, I would spend the money elsewhere.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:59 pm

No, I don't need another gun, but I have 4 grandsons, the first 2 10/22's are going to the two oldest ones this year on their birthdays, this one that I just bought and another one that I just ordered are for the last 2 grandsons, once they turn 12 y.o., which will be next year.

Now, the granddaughters, four of them, are another thing, they'll get the same amount of money spent on them, for something they want.

The old saying goes, you can't take it with you when you're dead so I'm spending it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:07 pm

rick1 wrote:Now, the granddaughters, four of them, are another thing, they'll get the same amount of money spent on them, for something they want.

The old saying goes, you can't take it with you when you're dead so I'm spending it now.
Well, then, we are in complete agreement about that, and I applaud your foresight.

I am getting a very late start in teaching the grandkids to shoot, partly because the grandson witnessed a firearm mishap at another person's home when he was a teen, and the two granddaughters were more interested in continuing the overpopulation of the world when they were teens. The two girls were fortunate enough to marry deer hunters, though.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 am

Well, Dick's sporting is at it again.  First, since the Parkland, Fl school shooting, they changed the age to 21 to buy a gun and eliminated all assault style weapons out of all their stores.

Now, they will not sell any guns and some hunting gear in 125 of their stores.

Since Dick's and Field and Stream changed their ideas on guns, I've bought nothing from any of their stores and will not in the future. I had a gift card for them but gave it away to my grandson.

They're a bunch of losers. devil

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dicks-sporting-goods-to-remove-guns-from-125-stores-11552400663

Back to top Go down

Post by justme_noname Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 am

I'd hate to have to pick just three. A lot of it depends on how you divide the uses. This is my opinion.

Shotgun, 12 ga or 20 ga with two types of ammo, small game bird shot type ammo and buckshot for hunting or defence. Shotguns are extremely effective within their range. If the target is about 100 feet away, just point in the area and the spread will get you close enough. I've shot from the hip and been able to hit and likely kill with one shot.

Rifle, I'd want two of these. I'd want a 22LR for small game hunting and for those times where you want to be quiet. 22LR is pretty quiet among almost all firearms. The 22LR is underrated by most. It can kill. I'd also want to keep my AR15 in 5.56MM. For longer range defence, that would be my go to rifle. It would be for when it is to far for the shotgun or the 22LR. Also, if needed, it could kill a deer as well. I'm bad to do head shots. For me and where I live, long range weapons wouldn't do me a lot of good. Far to many trees and such.

Pistol, my S&W 45. Good for indoors and close up defence. Could kill a deer if close enough but I don't like hunting with a pistol.

As was said tho, to each their own. Everyone has to make these decisions based on their needs. If I lived in a area with few trees and a lot of flat ground, I'd want a rifle that could do long range shooting. In my area, a rifle like that just wouldn't do any better than my 5.56MM AR15. When you are trying to reduce the number of weapons or can only buy a small number of weapons, then one has to weigh all the options. If a person has no weapons and is planning to make a first buy, I'd go with a pistol or a AR type weapon, again depending on what the area the person is living in. Either of those can do close up protection.

That's my thinking but I'm sure there are a ton of reasons a person would do differently.

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Tue May 14, 2019 11:36 am

If anyone is on a budget and wants an AR15 since they are the most popular and widely used rifles in america, check out palmetto State armory. You can buy a rifle for 499 or less almost daily,
Or,
Buy a stripped lower receiver and a rifle kit that you like and probably build a rifle you want for sub 500$. There are full kits all the time in the 299-399 range and you only need to buy a lower receiver usually around 50 for a basic one.

It's a great value and they are reliable. Just trying to help others.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Today I purchased a Panzar, AR-12, semi automatic, 12 gauge, 3" chamber, from friend of mine, never been fired, 3 - 5 round magazines and 4- 10 round magazines and 100 rounds of 00 buck. He won it at a gun raffle last month and needed the money.

No fuss, no muss, no paperwork has to be done in Pennsylvania, I gave him $400.00 and he gave me the gun.

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

Here's a good youtube video on .22 rifles and pistols, it's worth watching, even for the females, as there is no recoil from the .22. There are other videos in this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-radX2VMWgY

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Home defense weapons, is it a rifle, shotgun, pistol, well it really depends what you like or maybe what you currently have.

Here's a good article on the difference between which weapon to choose:

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/shotgun-vs-rifle/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down