rick1
Cinnamon
Blondie
dmwalsh568
Drinkthekoolaid
9 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Supply Chain Observations and Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Supply Chain Observations and Questions

Post by Cinnamon Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Our Walmart had all their cold/flu stuff on shelves in the middle of the floor today. They were also in the process of stocking cold/flu meds on end caps.

It is interesting to note, I live in a mild winter area (lower Midwest). The cold/flu season is supposedly nearly over.

I should also mention that all the fruit trees were in the parking lot today - apples, plums, pears, cherries - they're putting out the Spring planting stuff already.

Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Supply Chain Observations and Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Supply Chain Observations and Questions

Post by TRex2 Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Flu is making a resurgence.

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2020/02/15/this_flu_season_was_already_weird_it_is_getting_weirder_111294.html
Coronavirus may be in the headlines, but it's still flu season, and a weird one at that — officials are seeing a new spike in flu activity as a second strain of flu hits on the heels of the first.

The 2019-2020 flu season already had an unusual start — in December and early January, the main strain of flu virus circulating was a type called influenza B, Live Science previously reported. Typically, influenza B does not cause as many cases as influenza A strains (H1N1 and H3N2) and tends to show up later in the flu season, not at the beginning. Indeed, the last time influenza B dominated flu activity in the U.S. was during the 1992-1993 flu season, according to the CDC.

But now, influenza A is making a comeback. In recent weeks, there has been a surge in activity of H1N1 in the U.S., according to data from the CDC.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:02 am

This may be a stupid question

Is there such a thing as making your own mask ????

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 am

Dave58 wrote:This may be a stupid question

Yes. Go to the medical/masks forum and you'll see a thread on this!

ReadyMom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:11 am

ReadyMom wrote:
Dave58 wrote:This may be a stupid question

Yes. Go to the medical/masks forum and you'll see a thread on this!

Thumbs Up-2 Bow Down Thumbs Up-2

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:50 pm

I just read part of this , but it seems like something may have spooked the herd

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8064575/Panic-buying-hits-New-York-coronavirus-case-NYC.html

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Dave58 wrote:I just read part of this , but it seems like something may have spooked the herd

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8064575/Panic-buying-hits-New-York-coronavirus-case-NYC.html

I hate to say this, but it's only going to get worse. People are starting to panic (in the cities), so far.

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Went to the local warehouse store this weekend for my usual stocking trip and saw that the hand sanitizers had been wiped out as well as the medium and large nitrile gloves (there were just two boxes of small gloves left.)

And while checking out I noticed the couple in front of me was definitely prepping for a quarantine. 40 pounds of rice, 12 cans of spam, 16 cans of tuna, 3 bulk bottles of vitamin C gummies, 3-pack of Lysol disinfecting wipes and a 2 pound bag of onions.

Folks are definitely stating to take the news seriously.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:51 am

It's getting worse, whether it's due to a supply chain slowdown or people are starting to panic due to the corona virus, people are going crazy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/02/grocery-stores-coronavirus-panic-buying/

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:34 am

First, there will be a spate of panic buying in the affected cities and nearby areas. Then there will be some minor shortages in many other areas. When news of shortages begins to make the headlines, which it will, because the news loves to sensationalize everything, there will be panic in many other places.

This will snowball for a while, but eventually we should see a new norm. One of sporadic shortages on some items and long term shortages on other items. Stagflation is likely to return.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:53 am

It'll be interesting to see what happens when this calms down.

After the big snowstorms in my area, people started returning stuff to the stores. Not just generators, but dry goods, too.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:20 am

Cinnamon wrote:It'll be interesting to see what happens when this calms down.
When things calm down
is what I meant by "a new norm"

After the big snowstorms in my area, people started returning stuff to the stores. Not just generators, but dry goods, too.
I don't think we will see much of that, this time.

I think there will be some stuff that will go to waste,
because it was bought in haste, and will expire before it is used.

Two reasons:
1. This is likely to be a long term event, months or years
2. After this event, due to supply chain interruptions, absenteeism from factories, transportation workers being out sick, and other stuff, we are likely to see some shortages, for at least a year or two.

I am not seeing too much short here in the Ozarks (Arkansas).
Just a few items short.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 am

Like TRex, I think this may be long term, but will the virus fall asleep come warm months and come back like all the other flu illnesses, or even worse (a different strain).

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 pm

rick1 wrote:Like TRex, I think this may be long term, but will the virus fall asleep come warm months and come back like all the other flu illnesses, or even worse (a different strain).

I'm guessing that it won't go away in warmer weather since it has broken out in such disparate climates, South Korea, northern Italy, Iran and China....not exactly known for similar climates. But as always, time will tell the tale....I just tried to be as prepared as I can be.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:43 am

Oh, I believe it is long-term. This is now with the human population and will not ever go away.

What I meant was, in a few months, when people get complacent, they will start returning things. Before every snowstorm here where I live, people go out an panic buy everything. Then after the storm ends, they return everything they can. And then, they do it again before the next snowstorm.

These are not long-term thinking people. They will think in a few months that this is "over." It won't occur to them to keep their goods because of future shortages.  They don't pay attention to anything, except what is happening in the next day...maybe week. Beyond that...well.

We always have a few empty shelves, due to the out of the way area I live in. However, I am seeing a bit more empty shelves than usual. Especially paper goods and vitiamins/cold/flu stuff. Interestingly, we had difficulty stocking up on dog and cat food. We had to go to a few stores to get what we needed.  

I haven't had a lot to buy as far as medical supplies, we had most of it, due to planning in past years. I mostly stocked up on food and personal needs goods. I know some family/friends will land here when they run from the big cities.

My goal now is to stock up on entertainment for whatever quarantine is imposed. We have DVDs, popcorn, music, books, and art supplies. I've ordered some supplies because I'm working on a family geneology and have lots of photos and negatives to sort and catalog. I might get some wood, too, so outdoor people can keep busy.

We are planning a massive garden this year, perhaps even building another raised bed.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:13 am

Near the end of June there might be a lull in the news, but I think the virus will continue to spread (somewhat more slowly) throughout the summer.

Dog food. Hmmmm.

You can never have enough raised beds for gardening.
I need to get busy on that.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 am

I just came back from walmart, and their shelves are M-T of all hand sanitizers/wipes, I don't need any, but I asked one of the clerks when they will be getting more in and she said they have 3 orders on back order and has no idea when or if they will be getting any in the near future.

I also stopped at our local giant eagle store and the same there, shelves of sanitizers/wipes are M-T, I guess people are finally getting to stocking up or are in a panic, even the bleach was only 1/4 stocked.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:31 pm

There is a world wide shortage of hand sanitizer.

That brings up two questions.
1. Does anyone have a link to the recipe for homemade hand sanitizer?
(If anyone knows it, the link should be posted to this thread:
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1563-covid-19-wash-your-hands-other-tips )

2. Does anyone know what happens if you ignore the warnings and use the Clorox wipe for hand wipes?

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Yes ... I have a recipe .. I believe I posted it over in the 'Hygiene' section. But here it is again: https://www.thespruce.com/make-your-own-homemade-hand-sanitizer-606145

Rick just posted one, too in "CoVid 19-Wash Your Hands & Other Tips".

Only problem is now the alcohol & aloe gel is getting hard to find! I did find an oral aloe gel (for throat/mouth) at Walmart. It's 99.8%, so good quality. But it's watery. I figure you could put it in an essential oil mist spray bottle and it would work.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 am

Yep, here is a link to Rick's post:
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1563-covid-19-wash-your-hands-other-tips#7782

The essential thing with any of these alcohol based formula is to insure the final result has 60% or more alcohol.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:34 am

I went looking for answer to my second question:
"what happens if you ignore the warnings and use the Clorox wipe for hand wipes?"

I got partial answers, since I think anyone who actually advocates that you do this can run afoul of the law, so I won't advocate it, but here is some of what I found.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/clorox-wipes-safe-usage-265534

https://www.poison.org/articles/are-cleaning-wipes-safe-192
Kitchen disinfecting wipes are the type of wipe exposure most often called in to Poison Control. These wipes are mostly water but also contain detergents, antimicrobials, and other components to boost their effectiveness. The detergents in these products can sound dangerous. For example: alkyl dimethylbenzyl ammonium chloride and alkyl dimethylethylbenzyl ammonium chloride. These components are cationic detergents that can cause chemical burns in high concentrations; however, in the wipes they are only 0.01-0.1%. This concentration is high enough to break apart a bacterial cell wall, just as hand soap does, but not high enough to break down human skin. Some kitchen disinfecting wipes use hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, or ethanol in conjunction with a detergent or alone.

Depending on the brand, ingredients can be made from natural products or manufactured. In general, the source of the ingredients (natural versus man-made) does not change the efficacy or toxicity.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:04 am

I think if you use the alcohol and the aloe 'drinkable' stuff that I found at walmart ... you could actually make your own hand wipes! Keep them in a tight container.  Here's the stuff I found at WalMart ... it's also available on Amazon in small & large jugs: Supply Chain Observations and Questions - Page 2 41CYKP7ZJdL

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:40 pm

How grocery stores are trying to prevent panic buying as coronavirus causes stockpiling, emptying shelves
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/how-grocery-stores-are-trying-to-prevent-panic-buying-as-coronavirus-causes-stockpiling-emptying-shelves/ar-BB10Enh6?li=BBnbfcN&ocid=iehp

As an outbreak of a new coronavirus causes some U.S. customers to fill up shopping carts and thin out store shelves, industry groups and experts say grocers can tamp down on "panic buying" by planning ahead and trying to stay stocked.

Grocery stores, including Costco stores, have seen a spike in sales of household items like hand sanitizer, masks and cases of bottled water in recent weeks. Sales of shelf-stable grocery items, including fruit snacks, dried beans and pretzels, are on the rise, too, according to late February data from Nielsen. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Well its seems there is a shortage on toilet paper and paper towels ... Will wonders never cease ???

PopCorn

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Amazon says it is out of stock of household items and deliveries are delayed due to coronavirus demand
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-amazon-says-items-out-of-stock-deliveries-delayed.html

Amazon warned it’s experiencing Prime delivery days and running out of stock of popular household items amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The issues are a result of a “dramatic increase in the rate that people are shopping online,” Amazon said in a blog post that was updated on Saturday. Some popular brands and items in the “household staples” categories were out of stock, while Amazon said some of its “delivery promises are longer than usual.”

“In the short term this is having an impact on how we serve our customers,” Amazon said in the blog post. “We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability on all of our products, and bring on additional capacity to deliver all of your orders.” ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:36 am

Hey guys it's been awhile since I've posted here. I took a bit of a break I've been very busy.

I'm working from home today (and for the foreseeable future) as all schools are closed until further notice.

Rest assured, I'm doing my part now planning out my little piece of the supply chain that I manage.

Things have been busy.

I'll try to be more active in the forum again

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:51 am

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Hey guys it's been awhile since I've posted here. I took a bit of a break I've been very busy.

I'm working from home today (and for the foreseeable future) as all schools are closed until further notice.

Rest assured, I'm doing my part now planning out my little piece of the supply chain that I manage.

Things have been busy.

Glad your back...

Stay safe pls

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Dave58 wrote:Well its seems there is a shortage on toilet paper and paper towels ... Will wonders never cease ???  

PopCorn
Don't forget the Cheers-Beer2 Dave, goes good with popcorn.

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:16 am

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Hey guys it's been awhile since I've posted here. I took a bit of a break I've been very busy.

Things have been busy.

Yeah, I'm in IT at a local school and while I am in this morning to prep some more laptops for remote users, I won't be in the office more than this project takes and then I'll just be remote myself.

Schools here in MA are merely closed to April 6, at least for now. But unless numbers of new cases level out or start dropping I can easily see this being a much longer closure.

Was surprised at how stripped the meat sections of the local wholesale clubs were. I understand the bread, but there were no steaks, no chicken, no hotdogs, not even chubs of hamburger. I didn't even bother trying to go down the OTC med aisles to see what was left since I've got enough for months of intense use already and I figure if the others violate social distancing I'd steer clear and not join in the scrum.But I did get another box of Bisquik and another 10 pounds of flour in case they close the stores so I don't have to get out the wheat berries and grinder if I want bread or biscuits.

Definitely weird times, and I can't be very active using just my iPad so I may just be lurking around here for a while. Be safe everyone!

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Amazon is starting to ship only certain items, medical supplies, cleaning supplies, etc.. They are also looking to hire 100,000 people:

https://adage.com/article/digital/amazon-notifies-brands-it-shipping-only-essentials-until-april-5/2244826

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Walmarts are supposedly closing to stock up from 6-11pm and many stores are setting up an "senior hour" so that older people don't have to fight off the young people. This info picked up from relatives quoting "sources." Make of it what you will.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:15 am

Cinnamon wrote:Walmarts are supposedly closing to stock up from 6-11pm and many stores are setting up an "senior hour" so that older people don't have to fight off the young people. This info picked up from relatives quoting "sources." Make of it what you will.  
I heard the same, and that Target and Dollar General are taking similar steps.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 am

TRex2 wrote:
Cinnamon wrote:Walmarts are supposedly closing to stock up from 6-11pm and many stores are setting up an "senior hour" so that older people don't have to fight off the young people. This info picked up from relatives quoting "sources." Make of it what you will.  
I heard the same, and that Target and Dollar General are taking similar steps.

I went by the local Dollar general yesterday and you couldn't get another car in the parking lot..

I wonder how the ( no more than 10 people rule ) was working there

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Well, if this follows the general ups and downs of the short attention span I saw in the 2009 pandemic (fighting over vaccine in one month, a month later they couldn't give it away) the panic buying should settle down in a few more days.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Everyone out here where we live is in voluntary quarantine, except the critical workers. Local schools has been closed until April 24, after that, it's anyone's guess. Many Spring events have cancelled - advertisements in our penny saver newspaper all have cancelled/closed slashed across them.

Talked to my brother today. We cancelled our 2020 summer reservations and plans to go to Germany/Switzerland. Sad

Our little local restaurant is doing delivery and takeout trying to stay solvent. We will help them by buying gift cards to use later.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:31 am

https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1647-shut-downs-what-s-closing#8175
Cin wrote:some of the long-haul trucker people I know are worried - they need the rest areas open, at least.
This, and the number of truckers who are quarantined or sick, will become a serious supply chain matter in a month or so.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 am

Walmart is shutting down its auto centers, changing hours, providing hours for senior citizens (over 60 yo) and limiting (quantities) of certain item:

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2020/03/19/walmart-will-close-auto-centers-and-enforce-new-purchase-limits-on-milk-eggs-diapers-baby-formula-and-more/23955410/

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:02 am

Ok,

Here's a supply chain update.

One thing I can say is many of the major food producers (Large food production plants, slaughter houses etc) are all working full out including extra shifts and increased production lines trying to keep up with demands. They are at or near maximum production rates.

Distribution Warehouses are very low on stock so pretty much as soon as newly produced food arrives it's distributed to regional stores.

Hopefully the truck drivers and warehouse workers can stay healthy. Who knows how they will react once there are confirmed cases amongst their co-workers. Hopefully there isn't mass sick call offs out of fear of catching the virus

Many of the drivers I talk to are very worried about the virus and since they all share trucks if a co worker gets it, I don't know if they all just start calling in sick. Also, there are more "older" drivers than younger. So they are very concerned right now.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:...
Distribution Warehouses are very low on stock so pretty much as soon as newly produced food arrives it's distributed to regional stores.
There is an effort to keep us from knowing this.

If people knew it, I think there would be even more panic. If the panic dies down, things should get better for a while.

Hopefully the truck drivers and warehouse workers can stay healthy. Who knows how they will react once there are confirmed cases amongst their co-workers. Hopefully there isn't mass sick call offs out of fear of catching the virus

Many of the drivers I talk to are very worried about the virus and since they all share trucks if a co worker gets it, I don't know if they all just start calling in sick.  Also, there are more "older" drivers than younger.  So they are very concerned right now.
You are absolutely right. According to pandemic planners, this will be the next problem we face. My estimations, mathematically, is that we will face this problem in late April, or May. But I can't take the human panic response into consideration: I don't have the math for that.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Michigan farmers, distributors worried by coronavirus threat to supply chain
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-health-watch/michigan-farmers-distributors-worried-coronavirus-threat-supply-chain

Longtime grocer Steve Antaya isn’t prone to worry.

The family’s grocery business, Tom’s Food Center, with stores in central lower Michigan, has weathered countless snowstorms that have ground store traffic to a halt for days, as well as national crises like 9/11 and the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009.

Still this week, Antaya and other independent grocers in Michigan weren’t just struggling to restock shelves. They were trying to figure out how to deal with Michigan’s increasingly rattled supply chain as the coronavirus outbreak brings much of the state’s economy to a near halt. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Like the small grocer in Michigan, there are two small grocers in my area with the same problem. They can't even keep bread on the shelves and those are bought local from the city bakery.

They've put limits on all bread products, all beef/chicken products, all paper products, all detergent products, etc..

I asked the manager why and he said that they're not getting their full orders delivered, only partials, because of the demand. He also said that many warehouses from where the products are shipped from are running drastically low.

Glad I prep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:27 am

rick1 wrote:Like the small grocer in Michigan, there are two small grocers in my area with the same problem. They can't even keep bread on the shelves and those are bought local from the city bakery.

They've put limits on all bread products, all beef/chicken products, all paper products, all detergent products, etc..

I asked the manager why and he said that they're not getting their full orders delivered, only partials, because of the demand. He also said that many warehouses from where the products are shipped from are running drastically low.

Glad I prep.

Correct

This confirms what Trex and I have said in earlier posts.

Right now the system is still hanging on, but not by much. It's hanging on because
1- quantities are being rationed. Many stores are only allowing 1 or 2 of specific items
2- food is still being produced and sent from producer - warehouse - store.

Those distribution employees are all considered essential so they are all working still. Again, if they start getting sick and staying home that is where a break in the supply chain is likely to occurr and the result will be stores stop getting resupplied at even the rates they are now.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 am

Your next Amazon Prime delivery might take up to a month
https://thenextweb.com/us/2020/03/23/your-next-amazon-prime-delivery-might-take-up-to-a-month/

If you’re eagerly waiting for a new guitar amp or a barbeque grill, chances are that you might have to wait for a little longer for your order to arrive. According to a report from Recode, Amazon is pushing Prime delivery dates of ‘non-essential’ items in the US due to the coronavirus pandemic well past the usual day or two.

The development was confirmed by the company after several sellers and buyers posted on social media that shipping dates for their orders have been postponed. Most deliveries for Prime subscribers generally arrive within a day or two in the US. However, given the current situation, many items are showing a delivery date from five days to up to a month after your order is placed. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:00 am

Ok I woke up with this in my head this fine morning...

What are the chances of farm animals ie.. Beef , Hogs , Chickens getting this virus ???

Does anybody have any thoughts ???

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:42 am

Dave58 wrote:Ok I woke up with this in my head this fine morning...

What are the chances of farm animals ie.. Beef , Hogs , Chickens  getting this virus ???

Does anybody have any thoughts ???

Dave, sounds like you're always thinking outside the box, well, here's an article from the CDC. I don't think they really know for sure:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/animals.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:10 am

Rick thanks for the article. I just think things will get pretty thin by the middle of the summer in the grocery stores ( if not before. )

If this jumps to farm animals a lot of us will be screwed...

I don't want to be a vegan Sad Crying or Very sad

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 am

That CDC news release reminds me of a line from Men In Black:
"You have demonstrated everything we have come to expect from years of government training."

Here is the real deal.
The virus is an extreme close cousin of a bat coronovirus, so bats could acquire it, maybe. "Maybe," because I don't think anyone has studied this. And there is one, endangered marsupial in China that can also catch it, and subsequently transfer it to humans.

We know the source of this virus, with high probability, and we also know that China is lying about it. No surprise, absolutely nothing they say should be believed. Nothing.

As for dogs, cats, etc, the virus can live on their fur or nose, just as it can live on any other surface, for a few hours, but it can't infect the animal, and it is questionable whether it can remain viable enough to transfer to the next person who touches their fur or nose. It doesn't remain viable in their saliva.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:17 pm

We are seeing disruptions and rationing in our rural area. Some things are just out. No restocking (alcohol/hand sanitizer/canned goods).

Rationing has begin - TP, paper towels, even food stuffs - bread, water...even snack stuff has a limit of 2.

In CA, my aunt told me that at her grocery store, if you want TP, an employee escorts you to the place they store it, you get one pack, and they escort you back to the cash register.

As far as animals, I know the usual corona cold viruses they can get - our kid's dog had one when she was acquired from the shelter. The dog was treated and no longer has it.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:08 pm

As far as animals, I know the usual corona cold viruses they can get - our kid's dog had one when she was acquired from the shelter. The dog was treated and no longer has it.
Dogs can NOT get this one. I saw a chart once, and wish I had benchmarked it, that showed which animals can get which subclasses (clades) of coronavirus, and this one is a long ways from the ones that dogs can get.

Edit: Here it is, skim down to page 7 and ignore the jargon.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/genomic-characterization-of-2019-nCoV-Lancet-1-29-2020.pdf

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

TRex2 wrote:
Dogs can NOT get this one. I saw a chart once, and wish I had benchmarked it, that showed which animals can get which subclasses (clades) of coronavirus, and this one is a long ways from the ones that dogs can get.

Edit: Here it is, skim down to page 7 and ignore the jargon.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/genomic-characterization-of-2019-nCoV-Lancet-1-29-2020.pdf

I was thinking more along the lines of the food chain than pets

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 am

Unless you have plans to raise bats for meat, I don't think the food chain will be a problem.

Hopefully, though, this virus doesn't find its way into the wild bat population, as it would be theoretically possible for bat activity to contaminate surfaces that people come into contact with.

I think the larger problem will be that the virus is setting up to become endemic in our population, meaning that we will never track down all of the cases and it will be like the common cold, but with occasionally fatal results.
(I think I have drifted way off of the "supply chain" topic, here.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 am

TREx - still good information. Supply chain involves meat, and it's a good idea to be informed.

I know dogs can't get THIS virus, but I did know they could get some of the 'normal' corona viruses.

Buy local is becoming a mantra around here...and produce your own is also coming back into vogue.

People are going back to having their own chickens, livestock, and gardens.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:16 am

Egg Prices Soar as Coronavirus Panic-Buying Clears Shelves
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/27/egg-prices-soar-as-coronavirus-panic-buying-clears.aspx

Prices tripled within a matter of weeks, exceeding the levels hit during the avian flu outbreak five years ago.
The coronavirus pandemic has sent egg prices soaring. The cost of a dozen eggs now exceeds the prices hit during the avian flu crisis in 2015 when the outbreak led to the slaughter of over 40 million birds, or some 12% of the national laying flock.

While panic buying has mostly focused on hand sanitizer or toilet paper, consumers have been also clearing store shelves of eggs, a cheap source of protein, causing prices to triple within a matter of weeks. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:31 am

How Amazon is prioritizing orders right now
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/how-amazon-is-prioritizing-orders-right-now/ar-BB11Kszt?li=BBnbfcN&ocid=iehp

f you've tried to order anything from Amazon over the past week, you've likely run into delayed shipping and delivery timelines. That's understandable, with the sudden surge in online shopping in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many states and municipalities are asking people to limit interactions via social distancing and shelter-in-place orders to prevent the spread of the virus. Grocery stores and other essential services are still open, but many people are turning to online retailers like Amazon to fulfill their shopping needs.

To handle this upswing in orders, Amazon is taking steps to ensure that they don't run out of essential products. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Truck drivers are now beginning to refuse driving into the new York City metro area. Thats not unexpected and it's also not a good sign.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 pm

This was bound to happen sooner or later, but it's not a good development

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/food-workers-getting-sick-latest-020020636.html

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:This was bound to happen sooner or later, but it's not a good development

Well Drink, you're right, only a matter of time, no different then the truckers not wanting to deliver to NYC. And this is only the beginning, it will get worse, a lot worse. Stock up and then stock up some more.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:This was bound to happen sooner or later, but it's not a good development
From the link:
Lydia Mulvany, Deena Shanker and Isis Almeida
Bloomberg March 27, 2020
(Bloomberg) --

Poultry giant Sanderson Farms Inc. on Monday reported the first case of a worker at a major U.S. meat producer testing positive for coronavirus. The employee and six more from the McComb, Mississippi, plant were sent home to self-quarantine, with pay, but operations continued as normal.

A few days later Smithfield Foods Inc., the world’s biggest pork producer, confirmed a positive case at its Sioux Falls, South Dakota, facility. On Friday, beef producers in Canada and Argentina shuttered plants after virus cases.

In all likelihood, the number of cases will keep going up at meat plants, farms, warehouses and packaging factories across the globe.

The infections speak to a growing threat to the world’s food supplies. Massive operations where workers pick berries together, cut meat side-by-side on a production line or load warehouse trucks in sometimes close proximity risk slowing down. Some facilities may have to shutter for cleaning and worker quarantines. Produce could end up rotting in fields if there aren’t enough healthy workers.

“If we can’t flatten the curve, then that is going to affect farmers and farm laborers -- and then we have to make choices about which crops we harvest and which ones we don’t,” said Al Stehly, who operates a farm-management business in California’s North San Diego County, growing about 250 acres of citrus crops, 250 acres of organic avocados and 60 acres of wine grapes. “We hope no one gets sick. But I would expect some of us are going to get the virus.”

To be clear, the food from a plant where infection pops up doesn’t pose health concerns because by all accounts Covid-19 isn’t a food-borne illness. Supplies from a farm or a production plant with a confirmed case can still be sent out for distribution.

And it’s important to note that so far there’s been no major interruptions to food supplies. Inventories are still ample, and major bottlenecks have not yet developed in the supply chains, which tend to react quickly to changing situations.

Still, there is a risk to continued production. When a worker gets sick, the employee and every person they’ve come into contact with has to be quarantined. That could mean limited impact in some cases, like at the Sanderson factory, where the infected individual’s work was contained to one small processing table. But the more employee mingling there is, the bigger the threat to production.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 pm

TRex2 wrote:
From the link:
Lydia Mulvany, Deena Shanker and Isis Almeida
Bloomberg March 27, 2020
(Bloomberg) --

Poultry giant Sanderson Farms Inc. on Monday reported the first case of a worker at a major U.S. meat producer testing positive for coronavirus. The employee and six more from the McComb, Mississippi, plant were sent home to self-quarantine, with pay, but operations continued as normal.

A few days later Smithfield Foods Inc., the world’s biggest pork producer, confirmed a positive case at its Sioux Falls, South Dakota, facility. On Friday, beef producers in Canada and Argentina shuttered plants after virus cases.

In all likelihood, the number of cases will keep going up at meat plants, farms, warehouses and packaging factories across the globe.

The infections speak to a growing threat to the world’s food supplies. Massive operations where workers pick berries together, cut meat side-by-side on a production line or load warehouse trucks in sometimes close proximity risk slowing down. Some facilities may have to shutter for cleaning and worker quarantines. Produce could end up rotting in fields if there aren’t enough healthy workers.

“If we can’t flatten the curve, then that is going to affect farmers and farm laborers -- and then we have to make choices about which crops we harvest and which ones we don’t,” said Al Stehly, who operates a farm-management business in California’s North San Diego County, growing about 250 acres of citrus crops, 250 acres of organic avocados and 60 acres of wine grapes. “We hope no one gets sick. But I would expect some of us are going to get the virus.”

To be clear, the food from a plant where infection pops up doesn’t pose health concerns because by all accounts Covid-19 isn’t a food-borne illness. Supplies from a farm or a production plant with a confirmed case can still be sent out for distribution.

And it’s important to note that so far there’s been no major interruptions to food supplies. Inventories are still ample, and major bottlenecks have not yet developed in the supply chains, which tend to react quickly to changing situations.

Still, there is a risk to continued production. When a worker gets sick, the employee and every person they’ve come into contact with has to be quarantined. That could mean limited impact in some cases, like at the Sanderson factory, where the infected individual’s work was contained to one small processing table. But the more employee mingling there is, the bigger the threat to production.

I think its way past flattening the curve... There are quite a few country's that have quit exporting goods such as grain, wheat.. Last year we had a very bad harvest and this year people are too sick to plant and too sick to harvest... My niece lives in London and said they can no longer get fresh vegetables and I don't think we are far behind...

I am afraid we all need to raise a garden and a chicken or 2 if we want to eat

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next