Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Threats to our Food Supply - Page 6 Empty Re: Threats to our Food Supply

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:40 pm

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:14 pm

Possible railroad workers strike back on the table, BMWED members vote against new contract:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2022/10/10/bmwed-union-bnsf-railroad-deal-strike.html

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:49 am

rick1 wrote:Possible railroad workers strike back on the table, BMWED members vote against new contract:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2022/10/10/bmwed-union-bnsf-railroad-deal-strike.html
I heard the strike isn't until Nov 19th, so we have a month to "stack it to the rafters." (buzz phrase making the rounds a few months ago)

TRex2

rick1, Dave58 and dmwalsh568 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:54 am

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:Possible railroad workers strike back on the table, BMWED members vote against new contract:
I heard the strike isn't until Nov 19th, so we have a month to "stack it to the rafters." (buzz phrase making the rounds a few months ago)

Its a good catch phrase. We are canning potatoes today

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:30 pm

That article is behind a pay wall, so here are a couple free ones:
https://weather.com/news/news/2022-10-13-mississippi-river-drought-low-water-levels-impacts
and
https://weather.com/news/news/2022-10-13-mississippi-river-drought-low-water-levels-impacts

That first one says:
That has caused shippers to turn to more expensive rail and truck transport that can cost five times as much as a barge shipment.

Higher shipping costs for grains and fertilizers could lead to higher food costs in your local grocery store — even as farmers who grow the food are getting less because their harvest is piling up, according to the University of Arkansas.

An increase in the price of steel could boost the cost of a new car. A late coal shipment to a power plant may cause electricity to cost more. Even the price of a gallon of gasoline could rise as more tractor-trailers take to the highways and increase demand.

“One 15-barge tow has the same freight capacity as 940 semi trucks," Mike Steenhoek, executive director of the Soy Transportation Coalition, told Bloomberg.

And the effects could linger. Fertilizer that should be moving north on the river now to be applied in November isn't moving.

“The biggest issue is planning for next year,” said Hunter Biram, extension economist with the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture. With fertilizer, "That cost is already high and we don’t know yet how much higher that could go."

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:31 am

Dave58

dmwalsh568 and TRex2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:50 am

Dave58 wrote:Just found this on ZeroHedge .. I don't know how true it is

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/food-crisis-2023-going-be-far-worse-most-people-would-dare-imagine

It's not crazy talk, it's just rationally thinking about all the negative pressures on food production and transportation, and what might happen as a result.

Things will continue to get more expensive here in the USA, but food riots in third world nations wouldn't come as a surprise to me. Sigh.

dmwalsh568

rick1, Dave58 and TRex2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:39 pm

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/food-crisis-2023-going-be-far-worse-most-people-would-dare-imagine
General rule of thumb is that if it is on ZeroHedge, it is true, although it may take longer to come into reality, than the author's predict.

I can't think of anything he has said that didn't eventually come to pass.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:52 pm

With all the drought in the west and mid-west, ranchers are now saying that there will be a meat recession coming and prices will soar:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/meat-recession-coming

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:52 pm

rick1 wrote:With all the drought in the west and mid-west, ranchers are now saying that there will be a meat recession coming and prices will soar:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/meat-recession-coming
Have to remember, even Fox News is infotainment.

For a more informed discussion, go to someone who did more research:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjWjLoH-Wk

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:44 am

Farmer predicts worse food shortages, higher prices in 2023 amid inflation, drought and interest rate hikes, thank you corn pop:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/farmer-predicts-worse-food-shortages-higher-prices-2023-amid-inflation-drought-interests-rate-hikes

TRex2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:29 pm

rick1 wrote:Farmer predicts worse food shortages, higher prices in 2023 amid inflation, drought and interest rate hikes, thank you corn pop:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/farmer-predicts-worse-food-shortages-higher-prices-2023-amid-inflation-drought-interests-rate-hikes
Well, I haven't seen any real shortages (except baby formula and canning lids), recently, but I have seen higher prices.

I just did a check, comparing prices from before the pandemic. Soybeans are up 40%, wheat and "live cattle" (I think that means ready for slaughter) are both up 50%.

While both, worldwide food production, and stockpiles, are down (1.7% and 1.2%) from last year, utilization is down (0.7%), also (due to higher prices), making it appear that the worldwide food situation isn't changing much, but the reality is, those numbers mean that millions more people (mostly in third world counties) are not getting sufficient food. That is where the real shortage lies.

TRex2

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:22 pm

TRex2 wrote:
General rule of thumb is that if it is on ZeroHedge, it is true, although it may take longer to come into reality, than the author's predict.

I can't think of anything he has said that didn't eventually come to pass.
Time to revisit this.  

If we go back, almost a year ago, after Russia invaded Ukraine, crude oil, gas, fertilizer, wheat and sunflower all skyrocketed in price. There was even talk of $180 a barrel, but that was mostly panic talking.

Even six months ago, after the panic died down, there was a lot of unease, which is probably what Putin wanted. But, crude oil and fertilizer have returned to sane pricing levels, and it looks like the famine is further off than we thought, although there are some countries in and near Africa, where the populations are at or near starvation levels.

One thing driving down the prices of crude oil and natural gas is the recession, which began, globally, around May, last year, and here in the US, it began near the end of 2022. Less demand means more available for the dollar. As long as West Texas Crude remains near $70 a barrel, not much will change. Over $70 and inflation will take off again, but if it gets too much below $70, fuels production and refining will drop, leading further into recession.

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:12 pm

TRex2 wrote:...

If we go back, almost a year ago, after Russia invaded Ukraine, crude oil, gas, fertilizer, wheat and sunflower all skyrocketed in price. There was even talk of $180 a barrel, but that was mostly panic talking.

Even six months ago, after the panic died down, there was a lot of unease, which is probably what Putin wanted. But, crude oil and fertilizer have returned to sane pricing levels, and it looks like the famine is further off than we thought, although there are some countries in and near Africa, where the populations are at or near starvation levels.

One thing driving down the prices of crude oil and natural gas is the recession, which began, globally, around May, last year, and here in the US, it began near the end of 2022. Less demand means more available for the dollar. As long as West Texas Crude remains near $70 a barrel, not much will change. Over $70 and inflation will take off again, but if it gets too much below $70, fuels production and refining will drop, leading further into recession.
Well, the orange part didn't age very well.

The Saudi's are planning to cut production. Just the news of the plan caused prices to spike about 15%. The real spikes will happen this summer, and will probably cause 25% increase in motor fuel costs.

Eventually (in a year, give or take a few months), this will impact food supplies, since growing, processing and shipping food is a fossil fuel intensive endeavor. Just one more, in a long line of insults to our food supplies.

TRex2

Dave58 and dmwalsh568 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Don't know if this is a fluke, but there wasn't any canola oil on the shelf at the grocery this morning.

A bit concerning, since a lot of the raw materials comes from Ukraine.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:40 am

"SNIP"

TRex2 wrote:
TRex2 wrote:...

The Saudi's are planning to cut production. Just the news of the plan caused prices to spike about 15%. The real spikes will happen this summer, and will probably cause 25% increase in motor fuel costs.

Eventually (in a year, give or take a few months), this will impact food supplies, since growing, processing and shipping food is a fossil fuel intensive endeavor. Just one more, in a long line of insults to our food supplies.

Gas jumped 10 cents a gallon and diesel jumped 20 cents a gallon here, in our area, on Tuesday.

This morning I went to Giant Eagle to pick up our ham for Easter, there was a sign on the doors and at the meat case. It read, "due to the increase in transportation (fuel) costs, prices of meat products have increased, this increase will be effective April 13, 2023."

I talked with one of the assistant managers and she said that all items will be increasing over the next 2 weeks 'cause of fuel costs.

Thanks crowbait joe, here's a present for ya  :BadDog:

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:14 pm

rick1 wrote:Gas jumped 10 cents a gallon and diesel jumped 20 cents a gallon here, in our area, on Tuesday.

This morning I went to Giant Eagle to pick up our ham for Easter, there was a sign on the doors and at the meat case. It read, "due to the increase in transportation (fuel) costs, prices of meat products have increased, this increase will be effective April 13, 2023."

I talked with one of the assistant managers and she said that all items will be increasing over the next 2 weeks 'cause of fuel costs.

Thanks crowbait joe, here's a present for ya  :BadDog:
This is just the anticipation part of it. The real price increases haven't begun, yet.

There is a factor that will blunt the price spikes: an ever deepening recession, which we will be seeing for the next 2 years. Maybe more.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:40 am

Over 18,000 Dairy Cows Killed as Unprecedented Explosion Rocks Texas Farm
https://www.westernjournal.com/18000-dairy-cows-killed-unprecedented-explosion-rocks-texas-farm/

The disaster took place at Southfork Dairy Farms near Dimmitt, which is located between Lubbock and Amarillo.

“This is by far the deadliest barn fire for cattle overall and the most devastating barn fire in Texas since we began tracking barn fires in 2013,”

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:26 am

ReadyMom wrote:Over 18,000 Dairy Cows Killed as Unprecedented Explosion Rocks Texas Farm
https://www.westernjournal.com/18000-dairy-cows-killed-unprecedented-explosion-rocks-texas-farm/

The disaster took place at Southfork Dairy Farms near Dimmitt, which is located between Lubbock and Amarillo.

“This is by far the deadliest barn fire for cattle overall and the most devastating barn fire in Texas since we began tracking barn fires in 2013,”

Ya know ReadyMom, there have been more fires/explosions on processing plants, grain silo's, warehouses, farms, etc., then ever before.

Here's my take on this, there is no doubt in my mind that big brother is behind it, just like big brother has imbedded agents in the catholic churches.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:09 pm

rick1 wrote:Ya know ReadyMom, there have been more fires/explosions on processing plants, grain silo's, warehouses, farms, etc., then ever before.
Another guy who does analysis on stuff like this went over the numbers with me, and while we are certainly hearing about more of them, the actual number of fires and explosions isn't unprecedented. They do appear to be a bit higher than normal. It is impossible to say exactly how bad it is, since every facility is different and a lot of fires do not create total losses. Also, insurance companies consider their data to be confidential.

Here's my take on this, there is no doubt in my mind that big brother is behind it, just like big brother has imbedded agents in the catholic churches.
I wouldn't be surprised to find Big Brother behind some of it, and I have known since the Ukraine war kicked off, that both KGB and our own intel agencies have operatives inside the Catholic Church. (I knew that from the propaganda I have been seeing, coming out of the RCC.)

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:09 am

Funny, I was chalking it up to overworked and understaffed facilities not keeping up on maintenance so we're more likely to see accidents.

And when it happens at these mega farm facilities the impact of each accident goes way up....

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:58 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:Funny, I was chalking it up to overworked and understaffed facilities not keeping up on maintenance so we're more likely to see accidents.

And when it happens at these mega farm facilities the impact of each accident goes way up....
We tossed that idea around, as well, but of course, we can't prove any of this, one way or another.

Right now, I don't think anything would surprise me:
random chance,
maintenance failures due to under staffing,
solar activity,
sabotage by Leftists,
sabotage by someone who thinks they can manipulate the price of food, for their personal profit,
sabotage by government,

It is impossible to know what is behind the rise in fires.

But, thankfully, the occurrence rate isn't severe enough (yet) to have a noticeable impact on price or availability. That may change, but right now, the system isn't taking notice (other than psychological).

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun May 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon May 15, 2023 2:04 pm

Yep. The drought has pretty much killed the "winter wheat" crop.

They should be in the process of harvesting that crop, right now.

My grandfather used to harvest his winter wheat, and shortly after, plant soybeans. He could rotate back and forth most years, getting two crops off each field. Also, the soybeans help to keep the soil rich in nutrients that the wheat needs.

Not many farmers will be getting that double harvest, this year.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:08 pm

The UN, right now, is painting a rosy picture of world food stocks, most of the information contained in this table:
https://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/worldfood/images/cereal_balance_jun889.png

More information to come (another report estimated to be out on June 15th).
Let me just say that I am not so convinced that the future is as bright, especially for poorer countries, as the UN is making it look.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:16 am

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:11 pm

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:41 am

The UN's Food and Agriculture Organization came out with their monthly reports, this morning. While I don't trust their judgement at all, I still have some (but not too much) faith in the raw numbers they post (that may change in the future).

They still paint a rosy picture. For  instance, they still expect grain shipments from Odessa Ukraine and surrounding ports to go, largely unhindered. While the Russians allowed shipments to proceed, most of the time, last year, I think the expectation may be overly optimistic for this year.

The UN/FAO tracks several classes of food.
The most important are grains and oilseeds.

Just a couple notes:
They use the word "cereal" for grains.
All quantities are in Millions of Metric Tons (MMT).
I round everything to no more than four digits.

The numbers, in this month's report, for cereals:
Total Production Expected: 2819 MMT
Total Utilization Expected: 2805 MMT
Current Total Stocks (reserves): 878 MMT
This shows about 108 days supply, worldwide.

Stocks peaked in 2017, at nearly 120 days.
They dropped to around 106 days during the pandemic,
and have been slowly climbing.

https://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en/

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:49 pm

The price of rice is skyrocketing, is a shortage of rice coming soon due to no monsoon season, the war in Ukraine, too much heat, etc.:

https://www.aol.com/news/el-nino-threatening-rice-crops-033501205.html

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:01 am

And it's official, Russia has pulled out of the Ukraine grain deal

https://www.ft.com/content/c0c62c3c-54fa-49c7-9d5c-53deb91bf989

Russia has formally withdrawn from a UN-brokered deal to export Ukrainian grain across the Black Sea, potentially imperilling tens of millions of tonnes of food exports from the war-torn country.

President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters on Monday that the agreement had “essentially stopped” and Russia would no longer co-operate with the deal.

more at link above

dmwalsh568

rick1, Dave58 and TRex2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:47 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:And it's official, Russia has pulled out of the Ukraine grain deal

Russia has formally withdrawn from a UN-brokered deal to export Ukrainian grain across the Black Sea, potentially imperilling tens of millions of tonnes of food exports from the war-torn country.

President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters on Monday that the agreement had “essentially stopped” and Russia would no longer co-operate with the deal.

more at link above

Yep dm, it's official, it's so official that I just came back from giant eagle and the workers were changing the price on all the grains, some breads and some of the pasta's.

I asked one of the girls that was changing the prices why they were upping the prices, she said they got a message from corporate to up the prices on selected items.

Dave58 and TRex2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:40 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:And it's official, Russia has pulled out of the Ukraine grain deal

more at link above
I hit a pay wall, when I go there, but I suspected that may be the case, since Russia attacked ports at Mykolaiv and Odesa this morning (or, was it yesterday?).

The drone strikes weren't particularly effective, except psychologically. Officially withdrawing from the deal is likely to be psychologically effective, as well. I would suspect they will mine the ports, in the near future.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:37 pm

rick1 wrote:The price of rice is skyrocketing, is a shortage of rice coming soon due to no monsoon season, the war in Ukraine, too much heat, etc.:
Remains to be seen. This report specifically contradicts the UN Food and Agriculture report.

I do not have a lot of faith in either one of the organizations, but don't have any better sources to fall back on.

I suspect fuel prices (which have recently dropped, but the effect is still there) and "speculators" may be the reason for current increases in prices.

I do notice, in the UN-FAO report, they say the cereal "utilization" is dropping because less grain is being fed to farm animals. This will reduce the protein available for most of Asia, especially South Asia, leading to weaker populations and more deaths from diseases. Loss of proteins will affect Africa and S.America, but not as much.

This makes me say that your number one factor in food storage should be insuring sufficient proteins (then fats, carbs, and minerals, then vitamins).

TRex2

rick1, Dave58 and dmwalsh568 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:29 am

rick1 wrote:The price of rice is skyrocketing, is a shortage of rice coming soon due to no monsoon season, the war in Ukraine, too much heat, etc.:

My regular commodities (food, metals, coffee, lumber, etc) trading charts aren't showing much signs of price movement, and they usually react within a couple days of any news that they didn't expect.

My regular trading charts don't show rice, but this one does, although it only updates on a monthly basis, and runs a month behind:
https://www.fao.org/markets-and-trade/commodities/rice/fao-rice-price-update/en/

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:26 pm

more at link above
Here is a report on this, without the pay wall.
(I did some minor reformatting to make it an easier read.)
https://www.farmprogress.com/marketing/ukraine-grain-deal-collapse-heightens-food-supply-fears
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he would discuss the export deal with Russian President Vladimir Putin during their planned meeting in August, or perhaps sooner by phone.

The European Union will continue to help facilitate food exports from Ukraine, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Twitter. She condemned the “cynical move” by Russia.

When the deal was inked, the UN agreed in parallel to improve access to Russian food and fertilizer exports. Russia has demanded several obstacles be removed to bolster trade — including reconnecting an agricultural bank to the SWIFT international payments system.

No new vessels have been approved to join the Ukraine grain deal since late last month and Russia had blocked one of the three open ports. Ship inspection times have progressively grown longer, with fewer than one cleared per day in the first half of this month. A lone vessel remained in the corridor Monday — the TQ Samsun — which departed over the weekend from the port of Odesa. The UN said its outbound inspection is underway.

Long-Term Risk

Following repeated disruptions, the shipping corridor through the Black Sea is now nearly empty, tempering the immediate interruption to world crop flows. However, the bigger risk lies longer-term, as fractured and costly export logistics could spur Ukrainian farmers to further cut harvests already shrinking under the weight of the war.

When the deal was inked, the UN agreed in parallel to improve access to Russian food and fertilizer exports. Russia has demanded several obstacles be removed to bolster trade — including reconnecting an agricultural bank to the SWIFT international payments system.

No new vessels have been approved to join the Ukraine grain deal since late last month and Russia has blocked one of the three open ports. Ship inspection times have progressively grown longer, with fewer than one cleared per day in the first half of this month.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:10 pm

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:54 am

Our biggest threat is our own government, joe crow 2.0 is at it again.

Also posted this under supply chain:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/trucker-warns-catastrophic-biden-epa-restrictions-supply-chain-dead-water

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:04 am

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:40 pm

Dave58,

That is horrifying.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:48 pm

Cinnamon wrote:Dave58,

That is horrifying.

It's more then horrifying.

They even make medications from aborted babies, including shingles vaccine and the covid shot:

https://libertyfirst.org/products-made-from-aborted-fetal-cells/

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:43 am

Dave58 wrote:Has anybody heard of this ?
If it is true this is really bad....
https://www.kingdomclaritylabel.com/news/a-comprehensive-list-of-food-companies-and-products-that-use-senomyx
As is often the case, with stories like this, there is an element of truth, mixed in with some embellishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senomyx
Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee Meeting, p.81 , Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, May 16, 2001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Biologics_Evaluation_and_Research
Around the year 2001, Senomyx patented several flavor enhancers by using "proprietary taste receptor-based assay systems", which have been previously expressed in human cell culture, in HEK293 cells.[2] HEK293 cells are a cell line widely used in biological and medical research, immortalized through a genetic modification removed from the original human embryonic kidney cells taken from a healthy, aborted human fetus in the early 1970s.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:20 am

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:08 pm

An interesting read on Genetically Modified foodstuffs.

Personally, I think the authors (all of them) are too optimistic about man's wisdom, and not optimistic enough about God's wisdom.

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2023/10/nature-creating-resistance-to-avian.html
In the article, they talk about altering a gene, gauging the effects, then altering two more, and now trying to grow chickens to gauge the effects.

They talk about people being reluctant to try new things.
The furor we've seen over the release of genetically modified mosquitoes (see FDA On Proposed Oxitec Mosquito Trials In The Florida Keys) - magnified and propelled by social media - shows how quickly sentiment can build against anything related to GMOs.

Considering how reluctant tens of millions of people are to get vaccines, convincing them to consume GM chicken is going to be a hard sell.
For good reason.

Whether it's the words of Marcus Brody:
Walter Donovan : Well, Marcus, we're on the verge of the greatest discovery in the history of mankind.
Marcus Brody : And you're meddling with powers you can't possibly comprehend.

Or the Star Trek Voager's encounter with Annorax
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Annorax

The words of one of my teachers, in the area of security are pretty easy to understand:
"The results of being clever are often unpredictable."

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:45 pm

More and more I am trying to buy my food from local sources. I know everyone can't do that and I thank God every day I live in farm and Amish country.

I didn't have much of a garden this year due to Husband's illness, but I have neighbors who were generous with their fruits and veggies. Next year, I plan to do much better - a greenhouse and garden cage are in my future plans.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:19 pm

Cinnamon wrote:More and more I am trying to buy my food from local sources. I know everyone can't do that and I thank God every day I live in farm and Amish country.

I didn't have much of a garden this year due to Husband's illness, but I have neighbors who were generous with their fruits and veggies. Next year, I plan to do much better - a greenhouse and garden cage are in my future plans.

I hope your hubby gets to feeling better soon. I had a hip replaced in April and it slowed me down a lot our garden suffered from it , but next year we have bigger plans...

Dave58

TRex2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:39 pm

Thanks, Dave.

He is doing much better. He'll never be 100% but he's much more functional now that they backed off his meds. His numbers have gone up into stable range and as long as he can stay there, we are good. He's been able to do more of the things he likes to do - where before, he was so exhausted he simply ate and slept a lot. No, he's out working in the yard, playing with tools, and puttering around again.

That said, still stocking up on things, since the family reunion is over - I intentionally rotated out a lot of supplies so that we could refresh the pantry. Smile Husband and I couldn't have eaten that much on our own.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

TRex2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:22 pm

After a ten year (or longer) battle with African Swine Fever, China finally had the upper hand, and things were looking good.

Until late last fall. It re-emerged and has been found all across SE Asia.  

I know they are battling this with vaccines, but that is always an unsure thing. This will be another protracted (ten or more years) battle.  

ASV is harmless to humans (so far) but nearly 100% fatal in pigs.

The risk to us, in a few years, we could be facing much higher pork prices, or could have the virus here in the US, leading to a pork shortage.

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2024/01/hong-kong-afcd-9th-farm-tests-positive.html
https://www.fao.org/animal-health/situation-updates/asf-in-asia-pacific

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:36 pm

Shortages for the last 2 weeks where we shop:

Eggs - completely out for two weeks. We get ours from our neighbor, so no worries for us.

Broth - all the canned and packaged broth shelves were nearly empty. Lot of holes in the canned soup, too. In all fairness, we've had bad weather, so I guess that could be why. I make a lot of chicken broth, but not a lot of beef broth. Guess I need to start.

Bread was about out. I got one of the last loaves of the brand we buy. I used to make our bread, but with all the illness in the family, I got out of the habit. Probably need to pick it up again.

Potatoes - none in the bins. Some single ones for baking. There were some baby potatoes in bags.

Apples - there were some, but the pickings were slim.

Animal dry food - the cats' food has been out for weeks, but I didn't worry because I stocked up. Now that we're feeding the neighbor's 4 kittens, I need a more. I got the last bag on the shelf on Friday. The dog food we usually buy has been in stock, but the less expensive stuff is low, or gone.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:18 am

Cinnamon wrote:Thanks, Dave.
That said, still stocking up on things, since the family reunion is over - I intentionally rotated out a lot of supplies so that we could refresh the pantry. Smile Husband and I couldn't have eaten that much on our own.
Having multiple plans, for how to rotate stuff out of your deep larder (long term storage) is a necessity. (As many people who frequent this forum already know.)

In addition to the standards:
First in First out,
and store what you eat and eat what you store,

We also need contingency plans:

Your tastes change: I sometimes find, I have too much of one thing or another.
Solution: our children and grandchildren, who are not preppers, could use some, so I regularly pull some of the stuff that is nearing two years old, and give it to them. (My larder is three years deep.) I recently pulled 8 lbs of spaghetti and 8 pints of sauce.

Your body changes:
A woman on another forum was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
No more canned fruit.
Now, instead of having two years worth of canned fruit, she has more than she will ever need.
(I don't know what she did.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:02 am

Cinnamon wrote:Shortages for the last 2 weeks where we shop:

Eggs - completely out for two weeks. We get ours from our neighbor, so no worries for us.

Broth - all the canned and packaged broth shelves were nearly empty. Lot of holes in the canned soup, too. In all fairness, we've had bad weather, so I guess that could be why. I make a lot of chicken broth, but not a lot of beef broth. Guess I need to start.

Bread was about out. I got one of the last loaves of the brand we buy. I used to make our bread, but with all the illness in the family, I got out of the habit. Probably need to pick it up again.

Potatoes - none in the bins. Some single ones for baking. There were some baby potatoes in bags.

Animal dry food - the cats' food has been out for weeks, but I didn't worry because I stocked up. Now that we're feeding the neighbor's 4 kittens, I need a more. I got the last bag on the shelf on Friday. The dog food we usually buy has been in stock, but the less expensive stuff is low, or gone.
That is pretty alarming.

That isn't normal, for your local grocer, is it?
Possibly due to weather?

I am planning a trip to the grocer, probably on Wednesday (weather factors into my schedule).
I need to pay attention, and take notes.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:33 am

TRex2 wrote:

That is pretty alarming.

Possibly due to weather?

I am planning a trip to the grocer, probably on Wednesday (weather factors into my schedule).

My wife is going to another town close by today. I will have her take a good look at things

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:21 pm

Dave58 wrote:
TRex2 wrote:
That is pretty alarming.

Possibly due to weather?

My wife is going to another town close by today. I will have her take a good look at things
My wife and I stopped by the local (same size as a 7-11) grocer this morning. I only noticed two things in short supply. The particular frozen fish and cans of beef stew that I buy (I am a bit picky on those two items, while times are good). I didn't look too closely, because the recent snowfall, followed by a minor ice storm has things a bit messy.

Still planning a trip to WalMart (an hour's drive) tomorrow.
Will take a closer look, there.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:53 pm

We went to Giant Eagle and Wal Mart today, I didn't see any shortages on anything, only joe crow 2.0 high prices.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:03 am

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:00 am

I can see why they are selling the reserve, it costs millions of dollars to maintain and its never been used for emergencies. Even if they used it in an emergency, it's only a drop in the bucket.

Before I would sell it to a foreign country, I'd sell it to a company in the U.S., if possible. But knowing joe crow 2.0, he'll find a loop hole and sell it to China or Russia and Hunter will get a kick back $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Laugh Animated

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:45 am

The U.S. producing less beef and less calves for beef production.

Like vegie burgers or cricket burgers, better develop a taste for it. The demonrat state of NY suing largest beef producer over climate change and beef:

https://www.agriculture.com/fewer-cattle-and-lower-u-s-beef-production-in-the-near-term-8559393

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ny-attorney-general-sues-worlds-largest-beef-producer-over-methane-emissions-climate-commitments/ar-BB1j7gp7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:09 pm

rick1 wrote:The U.S. producing less beef and less calves for beef production.

Like vegie burgers or cricket burgers, better develop a taste for it. The demonrat state of NY suing largest beef producer over climate change and beef:

https://www.agriculture.com/fewer-cattle-and-lower-u-s-beef-production-in-the-near-term-8559393

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ny-attorney-general-sues-worlds-largest-beef-producer-over-methane-emissions-climate-commitments/ar-BB1j7gp7
Add to that, a natural disaster in the TX and OK panhandle.
The million acres burned is a drop in the bucket, but the losses to agriculture are not.

This will add to the (mild) shortages we were already expecting, over the next couple several years.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:39 pm

TRex2 wrote:

That is pretty alarming.

Possibly due to weather?

We live so rural that we drive to a nearby town some 35 miles away to shop at the only big store in town - Walmart. These shortages are at Walmart. What is very strange is that there is a Walmart to the south of that one and a Walmart to the north of that one - it is on a main route through the state...the other two Walmarts (50+ miles away in each direction) are always well stocked. Ours has been lacking for some time now, and we even have a new manager. We're not sure why we're experiencing these shortages.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next